Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Comfort Food of Fall

This meal graces my table at least once a week during the fall and winter months, and occasionally in the warmer months. I could probably eat it (or some version of it anyway) every day. Soup and cornbread.  Enough said.
Not just any cornbread, but skillet cornbread, baked in the oven. Mmmm.
My version of 'cowboy soup.' Chris' favorite.
 Cowboy Soup:
~one pound of ground beef, browned and drained
    *I always season it well with fresh garlic, onion powder, and meatloaf seasoning*
~2 cups beef broth
    *I reserve the broth when I make roasts or other beefy dishes in the crock pot; it freezes great!*
~vegetables of your choice (mine usually include tomato, carrots, peas, pearl onions, and corn)
    *I use canned veggies except the onion, and don't drain the juice...it gives more flavor to the soup*
~top it off with water, typically just til it tastes right (about a cup or 2, depending on how much soup you are making)
~Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until time to eat! Freeze the leftovers for quick and easy meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my stuff and nonsense. I love to hear from you, so please don't go without leaving something for me to read!