Monday, March 11, 2013

Growing a Garden part 2

Saturday was such a beautiful day! It was pretty overcast for most of the day, but not hot or cold. There was a chance of some heavy rain moving in after midnight, so I knew I had to get out in the dirt and plant some stuff. My Nanny (my grandmother) told me that potatoes had to be planted by March 17, so with rains coming I knew it was time. Besides, my fingers had been itching to get dirty ever since the boys started setting everything up down in the gardening zone. I got out there around 12:30 p.m. and the next time that I looked at my watch, it was 4:45! Needless to say, I worked my tail off.
Before
We'd brought in several loads of dirt, and Chris spread it around some before I got out there. He also brought down a tractor scoop of dirt from last year's dirt pile to use in my potato spot. The Boy was here and there off and on while I worked too.

Three rows of potatoes and two rows of sweet onions.
And this takes up just about one tenth of the garden plot. :-)
So while I was out there working, I decided to mark off the potential rows and areas that I will be able to plant. When I came inside, I drew it all out and made a 'garden map' to help guide me as I 'grow.' As of right now, I am intending to plant:

  • potatoes
  • sweet onions
  • green onions
  • strawberries
  • blackberries
  • jalepeno peppers
  • green beans (pole and bush)
  • okra (tons of it!)
  • tomatoes (tons of those too!)
  • watermelon
  • cantaloupe
  • cucumbers (wayyyyy less of those)
  • cherry tomatoes
  • turnips
  • herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro, thyme)
Sounds like a lot, eh? Please excuse my handwriting, but here's my little garden map...
Obviously, it has spinach on it, which I did not list.
I will be planting turnips by the cherry tomatoes, and herbs where the spinach is shown.
So Saturday night, as I drifted off crashed into sleep, I heard the rumble of thunder over my little garden. When I woke up (barely able to move with my sore little legs) on Sunday morning, the little garden was swimming. As soon as the rain stopped, I went down to check on things, scared to death that my taters and onions had floated into the creek behind the house. That happened once to my Nanny and Pap, and they had to start over...from scratch! Guess what? A river had definitely run through it, but they were all still nestled into their rows, nice and snug. Hooray!

bloglogo1_edit_zps6e8e0386 photo bloglogo1_edit_zps6e8e0386.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of your gardening plot! How nice it would be to have so much space to grow delicious things! I hope your garden grows fruitful and lush!

    - Carmen
    www.beautifullychallenged.biz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my stuff and nonsense. I love to hear from you, so please don't go without leaving something for me to read!