Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pounding the Pavement

I am so not a runner. Never have been. I've always hated it when I run and things jiggle. It was something I first noticed in the sixth grade when we had to run the mile. I've been extremely conscious of not necessarily how I look when I run, but more how my body feels. Needless to say, when I purchased these adorable kicks, it wasn't for how they would feel when exercising (even though they are called 'Nike Free Run').

So tonight, the fam went to the gym. I did my warm-up, then did 60 crunches and three sets on the back extension machine. I intended to finish my workout with a 30-45 minute brisk walk on the treadmill. I hopped on, fired up the Kindle, and put in 35 minutes as I read and watched Hubs, Lefty, and Boo alternate running and walking laps on the track. I've lost seven pounds so far, but my immediate goal is to lose five more by my re-check with the doctor on February 20. To meet that goal, I really needed to bump up my workouts. Guess what I did? I got off the treadmill and got on the track. And then, I RAN. Two laps is all I did today, but now that I know I can...and get this...I liked it...I intend to do more tomorrow. Those shoes were great on the track...and cute! I may have to order another pair.

On the way home, I asked the girls if I looked stupid running. Boo simply said no; Lefty said that I didn't look stupid, but I looked like I hadn't run in a while. Great I said. Maybe I won't run tomorrow! Not that I really meant that...it felt so good to run. What she said next brought tears to my eyes, and probably made my year. Want to know what it was? She said...

"It doesn't matter how you looked Mom. I was so proud of you for getting out there and actually running."

She was proud of me? Hmm. I will run again tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that. And the day after the day after that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my stuff and nonsense. I love to hear from you, so please don't go without leaving something for me to read!